The October calendar is already filling up with great events, including:
- On Sunday, October 4, 2015, the 10:15 a.m. worship service will include a Blessing of the Animals. Join us as we celebrate the animal companions in our lives by welcoming them (crated, on a leash, or in a bowl) to be blessed. Stuffed animals and photographs of animals are also welcome.
- Also on Sunday, October 4, the UniLu Seniors will enjoy lunch together in the Alumni/ae Room after the 10:15 a.m. worship service.
- On Columbus Day weekend, from Friday, October 9 through Sunday, October 12, 2015, UniLu will offer not one, but two retreats to New Hampshire:
- All are welcome to join the annual UniLu fall hiking trip. Come for hiking, fall colors, good food, and more. We stay in a comfortable house on a lake in Gilmanton, N.H. For more information contact Chris Pollari.
- Pastor Kathleen Reed will host a Young Adults and Graduate Students retreat in a lakeside cottage in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Come to enjoy breakfasts, lunches, and s’mores around a fire on the shore of Lake Contookook with an enticing view of Mt Monadnock; work up an appetite by hiking, paddling, reading, knitting, puzzling, game-playing or napping. The distance is 69 miles as the crow flies, or 1 3/4 hours by car. Email Pastor Kathleen for more details! RSVP by October 5 so that we can arrange transportation and food.
- We rejoice with UniLu member and Harvard Divinity School alum Robin Lutjohann, who has been called as pastor to our neighboring ELCA congregation, Faith Lutheran Church in Cambridge. Robin, along with Eric Worringer (called to serve at Redeemer, Lawrence) will be ordained on Saturday, October 17 at 4 pm at St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in Arlington (929 Concord Turnpike, Arlington, Mass.). Bishop James Hazelwood will preside and preach; the color of the day is red, and clergy are invited to vest and process.
- On Sunday, October 18, 2015, the Rev. Elizabeth Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, will be our guest preacher at the 10:15 a.m. worship service. This is a homecoming for Bishop Eaton, who earned her M.Div. from Harvard Divinity School in 1980 and served as UniLu’s Vicar for Students during the 1977-78 academic year. Note: UniLu has no parking lot, so please plan to park in the University Place Garage, 45 University Road, Cambridge if arriving by car. For more information, see the announcement from the New England Synod.